Dickson County School Nutrition
School meals are a healthy option, a great value and a huge convenience for busy families. In Dickson County, our goal is to provide these meals to all students to enhance the greater role of schools in preparing our young people for the future.
YOU CANNOT TEACH A HUNGRY CHILD
What Comes on the Lunch Tray?
- Dickson County Schools participates in the Offer vs. Serve Program for all grade levels. This is a USDA program which allows students to choose what they would like to eat.
- The meals are broken down into components and the students are required to take a certain number of components to have the meal qualify as a lunch or breakfast.
There are 5 components that make up a "School Lunch":
For your child's lunch tray to count as a "School Lunch" they must select at least 3 different food components, they can always take all 5 of the components if they choose to.
- One Entree - Protein
- A Serving of Vegetables
- A Serving of Fruits
- A serving of Grains
- One Milk or Juice
If your child only chooses to take the minimum amount of components, one of the items MUST be a fruit or vegetable.
Breakfast and Lunch Accounts
- When enrolled, each student is given an account with a Serving Number. This number will remain the same throughout their time at Dickson County Schools.
- To access their account, the students will be asked by the cashier to type in their Serving Number. They will do this on a device located on the cashier stand.
- Students will only have one account. From this account the students can purchase their breakfast, lunch and any a-la-carte items.
Our School Nutrition Department is self-supported and in order to maintain our financial responsibilities we encourage all parents to take an active role in monitoring their child’s breakfast and lunch account. Please make sure that you have sufficient funds in your child’s account to cover all purchases. You can do this through several methods:
- Prepayment for meals is encouraged.
- Make checks payable to the school cafeteria
- Prepay any amount
- Indicate your child's legal name, teacher name, grade and serving number on check or money envelope
- You may pay online using a credit or debit card
- Although we can accept cash payments, we do not recommend sending cash to school with your child
Great food and friendly service are very important to us! We will do whatever is necessary to ensure that our students receive courteous service and attractive, well-balanced meals every school day. We look forward to serving students every day this school year!
- using the on-line system K12PaymentCenter
- contact the School Nutrition manager at your child’s school
- contact the School Nutrition Program at the Dickson County Central Office
See you at breakfast and lunch!!
USDA Non-discrimination Statement: In accordance with Federal law and U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992(Voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136(Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.